Google Chrome is a widely used browser among Windows users. However, the latest version of Chrome is also supported on Mac OS. Therefore, if you are facing the Google Chrome error code 4 during the updating process then you can proceed to read this article. This article will answer every single query of yours regarding the error which is already stuck in your mind. After following this article you will also be able to resolve the matter causing the error 4 efficiently. So, go through this article thoroughly till the end.
Error code 4 generally occurs due to the active Internet Proxy Server settings, Antivirus restrictions, and the Internet connection related issues. But the good news is that every single issue can be resolved with the effective methods. So let’s not waste time and check the methods as below.
Effective Methods to Solve Google Chrome Error Code 4:
After the experimenting the Chrome error code 4 these below are output methods by the experts, applying which, you will be able to fix the Google Chrome error code 4 efficiently. It is advised to study all the methods earlier before you apply them. Studying the methods thoroughly will help you to grab them previously, so that, when you are going to apply them, you can proceed with the methods fluently.
Method 1: Disable Internet Proxy Server Settings
Firstly, check the Internet Proxy Server settings on the Chrome browser. If it is in enabled condition then this may be the fact you are getting the Google Chrome error code 4 on the screen. To solve this matter, you need to follow the steps as stated below.
- At first, launch the Google Chrome browser.
- After that, click on the Customize and control Google Chrome (three vertical dots) icon, which is below the Close button of the Chrome browser window.
- Next, from the menu window, select the “Settings” option.
- After that, scroll down the window and click on the Advanced button there.
- Further, under Advanced, go to the System section and over there, you will find a link as “Open proxy settings”, click on it.
- Then, go to the “Connections” tab.
- Under the Connections tab, click on the “LAN settings…” button, which is present under the Local Area Network (LAN) settings section.
- Next, ensure that the checkbox for “Use a proxy server for your LAN”, under the Proxy server is not enabled. And if, then, you need to remove the tick from the Use a proxy server for your LAN checkbox by clicking on that.
- After that, click on OK to save the changes.
- And lastly, close all the open windows and retry to update the Chrome browser. Hopefully, this time you will not face the Google Chrome error code 4. And in case, if still, the error persists, then try the further methods to identify and fix the problem responsible for the Google update error code 4.
Method 2: Restart DNS Client Service
This is one of the methods by the application of which many of the users were able to fix the Google Chrome error code 4. After disabling the Internet Proxy Server if you still stuck with the error then try these below steps, after which you may get the issue resolved.
- To initiate the method, press both the Windows and the letter R button at a time. This will open up the Run bar window near to the Start menu.
- Then, make sure nothing is present on the Run bar and if then using the Backspace key, clear it.
- After that, on the Run bar type “services.msc”, without the quotations as given here.
- Next, click on OK/ hit the Enter button, to get the Services window open on the screen.
- Further, scroll down the Services window, until you get the DNS Client section.
- And then right-click on DNS Client and from the menu window select the Restart option.
All these are the steps to follow to restart the DNS client service. After that, try to update the Chrome browser to check if the issue still persists or not.
Method 3: Change DNS Server Settings
Changing the DNS Server settings plays an important role to fix the Google Chrome error code 4. To try this method, you need to proceed with these below steps.
- At first, tap the Windows button to get the search bar open.
- Then, on the search bar type Control.
- After that, from the search result click on the Control Panel option.
- Next, under the Control Panel window, check if the “View by” is set to “Large icons” or not. And if not, then drop-down the menu for View by and from the options select Large icons.
- Further, select the “Network and Sharing Center” option from the Control Panel window.
- Next, from the left-hand side panel, click on “Change adapter settings”.
- From the next window, right-click on your network device and select the Properties option from the menu.
- After that, if you are not using the PC as an administrator then you may need to confirm the Password to proceed with the further steps. However, if you are already logged in into the admin account then you will not get the password section window open.
- Now, from the Network Connection Properties window select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”. And then click on the Properties button, from the bottom of the window.
- Further, enable the checkbox, which is for “Use the following DNS server addresses:” under the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties” window. And then set the following regions with the information as given below.
- Preferred DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- Alternate DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
- Next, click on Apply> OK.
That is the overall steps to complete the change DNS server settings. After doing these steps, hopefully, you will get the error resolved.
Method 4: Disable Antivirus Software
Sometimes, due to the malfunction of the antivirus software, Google Chrome error code 4 also arises. If this is the case, then by disabling the antivirus software, you will able to update the Google Chrome browser. Most of the antivirus software can be disabled by following the steps as given below.
First of all, navigate the mouse pointer onto the antivirus icon which is present on the taskbar panel. If you did not find the antivirus icon on the top of the taskbar panel, then you may need to open the taskbar tray for that. The upward symbol arrow beside the time and date section on the taskbar panel is termed as the taskbar tray. Once you get the antivirus icon on the taskbar panel, right-click on it. And then from the menu window, navigate the mouse pointer onto “antivirus shields control”. As you keep the mouse pointer onto the “antivirus shields control” option, a new window gets open. From the window select the option for which period you want to keep the antivirus software disabled. After you disable your antivirus software, try to update the Chrome browser to check if the error gets resolved.
Method 5: Restore Settings to their Original Defaults
After trying all these above methods, if still the Google Chrome error code 4 persists then you need to follow these below steps. These below steps are to restore the settings of the Chrome browser. Ans to do so, follow the methods that are as stated below.
- At first, open the Chrome browser.
- Then, from the Google Chrome window, click on the three dots icon that is the icon for Customize and control Google Chrome.
- After that, select the Settings option from the menu.
- Now, scroll down the Google Settings window until you reached to the Advanced button, click on it.
- Next, scroll down the Advanced window and reach to the last section, that is, “Reset and clean up”. Here, you need to click on “Restore settings to their original defaults”.
- From the further window, click on the Restore button. Now, wait until the Chrome browser gets restored. After that, restart your PC and retry to update the Chrome browser. Hopefully, this time surely you will get the error 4 resolved.
All these are the effective workarounds to fix the Google Chrome error code 4 on the Windows OS. If there is any more query regarding the said error then you can leave a comment in the section given below. You can also add the suggestions regarding the technique by which you resolves the problem.